We had a house fire in August 2011.ServPro of Easton, Bethlehem & Whitehall was supposed to take care of the cleaning of our items.

There were many problems: things stolen, (they stated that they noticed the items were missing, but they never said anything until we filed a police report), things broken, things ruined, things never cleaned, leaving our personal photos and items outside to get ruined, many thousands of sports cards were ruined and most of the best ones ironically went missing, taking months to remove the items from the home (when they wrote in the paperwork that they estimated they would be done with the job in 2-4 weeks), taking so long to remove items that everything was moldy, not even taking everything that they wrote on the paperwork (washing machine, dryer,…), insurance had to pay another company to remove all of the items left behind by servpro when they were done (which were moldy and all ruined by the time servpro was finished), waiting about 8 months before starting to clean items,(we have paperwork from them with dates to prove it), not bringing stuff back until months after we moved back into house (and then charging us for storage for those months), we needed to get a dumpster to dispose of all the ruined items that were supposed to be cleaned, list of taken items was very vague, I had to clean any item that was not ruined because it was still dirty, never gave us a list of discarded items or itemized list of how they cleaned items (which we repeatedly asked for), we have had several meetings because we were dissatisfied during when they worked for us, but the issues were never resolved, there were several different crew chiefs during the job and the one who started the job no longer worked for them when the job was supposed to be completed, never finished everything they promised (cleaning debris from gutters, picking up glass outside). We have many pictures and even paperwork from them stating how long they waited to clean items. ServPro got paid partially from insurance. We never received a bill after our last meeting.

Then we were served papers that they are suing my husband and I for about 24,000. My husband is disabled and going through disability. I have him and 4 younger children to take care of (2 of them have autism spectrum disorder, and I have my own medical issues). This whole matter has been very stressful to our whole family.

Its bad enough to have a house fire, but we lost much more than we should have.

Comments

MAAVerba
Lehighton, Pennsylvania, United States #760307

Update: Since we could not afford to hire a lawyer to represent us in court, we were not able to show any of our pictures or other evidence in court. The owner and her lawyer would not allow it. Personally, if it were my company, I would want to see the pictures and stand good for my work. So, without showing any evidence, we obviously lost in court, so now we owe about $30,000.

They sent the sheriff to our house 2 days before Thanksgiving so that he could tag items for sale to pay the amount of money that they want. As I stated earlier, we don’t have much money, and ServPro of Easton, Bethlehem & Whitehall ruined most of our items, so the sheriff could not tag many items aside from our refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, and couch. The sheriff sent notice to the company of the items that he tagged, which the company seems more than happy to sell. This does not seem like someone who cares about others, selling items that will not make a dent in the amount of money, but will make life much harder for my family.

Update 2: After receiving notice from their lawyer and trying to contact him for a few days, I finally got the chance to talk to him. Even though I disagreed with the fact that we owe them anything, I wanted to make a reasonable arrangement, but one could not be reached. I was also told that once they sold my family’s possessions, they would keep coming after us until they got their money, and they would even force a sheriff sale of our home. They would do this knowing about my disabled husband and six children (2 which have Autism). I feel that this would be very cold and heartless. If they put as much effort into doing their job as they do into getting their money, we probably wouldn’t have all the problems we have now.

I do not want anyone to have to go through what my family has been through. How much is enough? If anyone has any advice or has any questions, feel free to contact me at MAAVerba@gmail.com or message me on this page. My family would appreciate any advice or help.

We have had so many problems with ServPro so I started a facebook page with pictures and documentation. Please feel free to check it out, share, and post your experience on this page as well. I don't want anyone else to have to go through what my family is still going through because of them.